Saturday, April 11, 2009

Inspiration comes from strange places

It's been a little while since I have last posted. We are all doing well. Alex turned the big 1 on March 27th and had 2 fantastic birthdays. He loves cake!!! We had a fantastic time with our family in Minnesota, but we miss them!!

On to other news - when we were in MN in Oct 08 Alex got sick. We met the Watters' there
(http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/corinnewatters) check out the link for more info. Long story short, their biological daughter got cancer in her leg when she was 6. While going through treatment, her room was next to a boy about the same age that had the exact same cancer. The family noticed that this little boy was all alone and receiving treatment by himself, without friends or family. His name is Victor. Victor was in foster care. Well, the Watters' just couldn't stand for that, God bless them, so they up and ADOPTED him and he is now gleefully a part of their fantastic family. Unfortunately, Victor's cancer returned (he is now 11ish) and he is undergoing some very experimental clinical trials to remove the cancer (which spread a bit). Deb Watters (the mother) came to our room when Alex was receiving his blood transfusion to just chat a bit. She really is one amazing lady!

Anyway, most of you know how severely Alex's sickness affected me. It was the worst time in my whole life and I have questioned a lot of things that I just took for granted before. I still don't even like to talk about. But, I was just reading an article on the Watter family (Pioneer Press -http://www.twincities.com/rosario) and I had a MAJOR epiphany. This may sound a bit ridiculous, but here it goes.

Josh and I always knew we wanted to adopt one day. We had always been saying that we would have our 2 boys and if we ever wanted more we would adopt. Recently, since Alex got sick Josh and I have been determined to do what we can to help out kids...donate money, time, resources, whatever we were capable of. These families are all suffering so badly and those of us who are lucky enough to be healthy and stable typically take those "normalcies" for granted.

I always believe things happen for a reason, even though they may totally suck at the time and be life altering, it happens for a reason. You meet the people you meet because you are supposed to, things that happen to you happen to teach you or give you that experience for something that will come later, etc. So, my big question, since Oct 08, is WHY did MY baby have to be the one that got this incredibly rare blood virus? It's so rare that they can't even research it, they can't tell you what caused it or when it's going to end. They can't even give you a diagnosis without going through lots of very invasive test and throwing the "C" word in your face a thousand times. WHY? Why us? I guess everyone asks that question in situations like this.

Well, I think I may have had my answer...maybe this happened to not only teach Josh and I a thing or two about life priorities and what is really important and what NOT to take for granted, but maybe I was supposed to meet Deb Watters. I mean, for goodness sakes, we were in MINNESOTA when we got the call....we had to go to MINNESOTA hospitals. On the same day as her son, Victor. Directly across the hall from him.

I have been following both Corrine and Victor's story every since and probably will for the rest of my life...as long as they are blogging. If this family, with 5 biological children, and one child with Cancer can adopt a child who needs a home, why can't we? We are VERY blessed with 2 healthy little boys, a nice large home and a nice large vehicle...we are somewhat financially stable (who is right now? really.) and I work from home. Instead of sending informal money or resources that I will never really know what they do with, why don't I take the bull by the horns and help out a child?

So, in lieu of my above epiphany, Josh and I have decided to adopt a child from foster care. A child that is already here on this earth and has the misfortune to get sucky parents. A child that, yes, will have issues. We can help. We will try our damndest. So, THAT is why I think Alex got sick. THAT is why I met Deb Watters. THAT changed my life. We have been matched with an adoption agency and I will be contacting them Monday morning to start the process of getting licensed. Will keep you all updated!!

1 comment:

  1. Very exciting Lydia. I agree that everything happens for a reason. I don't know the reason why I had to lose my son, but I know it's made me a better person and a better mother to his sister Makenzie. It affected my life profoundly and I'm forever changed but mostly in a good way. It's amazing how clearly you can see life and priorities when faced with such tough situations. Not that I want anyone to have to go through hard situations, but I almost feel sorry for people who live in an world of letting life go by them and not realizing how precious life is. I wished everyone understood that and didn't take anything for granted. I'm sorry you had to go through all that with Alex, but I'm so happy that so much positive has came out of it. Kudos to you and Josh for pursuing adoption!

    ReplyDelete